Monday, May 7, 2012

Running water: Part two

Okay, second time around. This time, caulkless and REMOVABLE!

I previously mentioned that I bought a tupperware shoe box, trimmed the top and lost the lid. I used this as my water section, and had room to set up my saltwater dish on the same side. I also did an inch of plain soil on the bottom of the tank before i laid sand to keep some more moisture, and because Bubble and Jack seemed to like the soil they were in for a week while i gathered sand and set up the 30 gal again.
 What I can say so far is that i like this way better, they liked it, a little too much, they got themselves under the waterfall, and i had to dig them out because it scared me for a sec. in the future ill probably let them be.

 I also spent some time handling them before putting them in, i scoop under them and try not to put my hand over them unless im doing an actual transfer, this helps them feel less threatened. They seemed to calm down a bit and chill after a few minutes. Ill definitely have to do that now and again and see just how handleable i can get them!

 Pictures Ahoy!

Whole 30 gallon Breeder

Hide side (many hides buried for them to choose from)

Water side, Running fresh water with filter and salt water dish

Running water, filter, stones to quiet the flow and move it across the length, there are stones behind it keeping it upright and stacked to keep the crabs from getting stuck in there, also some fake plant stacks to try and make it look nicer haha.


2 comments:

  1. How did you make the tunnels/Holes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of the ones pictured are terracotta pots burried in the sand eith some sand insid eof them, but ive also just formed tunnels with my fingers too, the sand should always be moist, like when you make a sandcastle.

      Delete