Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Information on the Blackback Land Crab (Grecarcinus Lateralis) NOT HALLOWEEN MOON CRAB

A reader had emailed me about getting the wrong crab, what was it? They had received the Black back land crab instead, under the name "halloween crab". (Please see "Is your crab a Halloweener?)
This got us chatting for a while as I tried to do some research and help a fellow crabby lover out. He brought to my attention a german site that translated some information that I found quite useful, even if it was not 100% accurate.
I have shared this with you and would like to add a few alterations, such as the temperature range they list is 68-82 F. Id probably keep it 74-80 range since this is in a tank and not the wild, they cant dig as deep to escape heat. They also list that they do not need a water dish.
hm.
I highly disagree with this here. I think any living creature will benefit from a water source (even crickets and feeder bugs need water access such as crystals so they dont drown)
G. Lateralis may avoid bodies of water in the wild but I can bet they dig deep to find the water table. They use the substrates internal moisture to wet gills, but in captivity we can not always guaruntee there is enough internal moisture. I think you should always include a dish just in case. these creatures are not stupid, if the substrates dry they will seek water.

Other than those points i find this entry quite helpful and am glad the reader took the time to show me!
Before I leave this post id like to make a point of reminding you all how to research for your buddy.
Google search not just caresheets, but scientific blogs and articles, REAL RESEARCH papers. Look at 10, 15, 30 pages. There is no such thing as too much. Look up where these crabs live in the wild, then research those countries. These things give great insight as to how they live in the wild and what you should give them in return to replicate things like temperature and substrate.

I am currently working on two new posts after this, one of how i go about digging out the critters and cleaning, and just another photo update on the lovies. Hope you enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment